Brendan Greene, the creator of battle royale game PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has confirmed that we won’t be getting a sequel to PUBG anytime soon – or at least not one made by him.
Speaking to GamesIndustry about his future plans, Greene said: “The last man standing concept is great, but I’ve done that. I don’t really intend to make PUBG 2. I’ve done battle royale, it’s time to try something else.
“There are ideas about how we connect to people and how we provide the different experiences I have.”
Greene is here referring to his move to a new division at PUBG Corp., called PUBG Special Projects.
In the same interview, Greene explained that the project was under NDA, but that the aim is to “explore new possibilities of interaction and connection within the game space.”
It’s good to see that Greene is moving away from the now heavily-saturated battle royale genre. Speaking of recent battle royale hit, Apex Legends, Green had nothing but praise for Respawn Entertainment.
“Apex Legends did an amazing job, they didn’t hype anything, they just announced and delivered a great game,” he said. “It’s hard to enter the space right now. I don’t envy the developer teams with that task.”
PUBG announced Greene’s move to PUBG Special Projects earlier this month, and we’re eager to see what PUBG Corp. has up its sleeves for this one.
All we know is the aim will be “exploring, experimenting, and creating new technologies, tools, pipelines, and gameplay.” Doesn’t really tell us much, does it?
And now for something completely different… pic.twitter.com/f9qpkHMHu8
— PLAYERUNKNOWN (@PLAYERUNKNOWN) March 13, 2019
What would you like to see from Greene and the PUBG Special Projects taskforce?
— PUBG (@PUBG) March 28, 2019
Featured Image Credit: PUBG Corp.