Fortnite chops, changes and upgrades more often than not, and there’s always something happening to keep the game in the minds (and hearts) of its massive fanbase.
One of the most sorely-missed parts of the game was the beloved Playground Mode, but it’s finally coming back into action.
The incredibly popular mode made an appearance around the end of Season 4 of the game and it disappeared pretty quickly after the launch of Season 5.
If you didn’t get the chance to experience it, Playground Mode was (and now, is) a step away from Battle Royale, giving a lot more breathing space and focusing on exploration of the map.
In Playground Mode you’ll drop onto an island with your squad and are then free to do whatever the heck you like, from building, exploring or even practising your tactics.
You’ll get a whole hour before the storm comes, and since respawns and friendly fire are enabled in the mode, it’s perfect to help you refine your play style in a more casual environment.
Now however – it’s official – Playground Mode will be returning on Wednesday 25th July.
The mode experienced a few technical difficulties during its brief foray into the game, but Epic Games have made it clear that Playground Mode would be coming back in its final form to enhance the gameplay once more.
Thanks to the recently-released patch notes, there’s a few details that we’ve learned that are going to make the new Playground Mode better than ever.
Here’s all the latest:
- “Playground mode is back on Wednesday, July 25! New team select options let you and your squad set up team battles for practice and training.
- “Race! Create, and share your screenshots and cinematics on social.
“Compact SMG (Battle Royale)
- “Unwrap the newest weapon in Battle Royale. Engage in close quarters combat with the high capacity, fast firing Compact SMG.
- “New default keybindings for new players.
- “All keyboard layouts will continue to default to the QWERTY bindings for new players or those who reset their back to default.
- “Changed countdown timers to display more useful information
- “Shows hours left instead of days when under 72 hours.
- “Shows hours:minutes: seconds left when below 13 hours.
- “Changed the background of the loading screen bullet points area to be partially translucent.
- “Removed the “static noise” when switching tabs.
- “The “Restore” button has been removed from the settings screen. Also, the “Reset Defaults” button has been renamed to “Reset”.
- “Leaving the settings screen before applying changes will give the option to apply changes and exit or discard changes and exit.
- “Double clicks now register as two clicks on a button, allowing for faster navigation through Next/Previous type buttons
- “Items on the ground will properly have their stack counts updated if the stack size changes while the player is currently looking at them.
- “Fixed a frame delay on some text layouts, which would cause large blocks of text to reflow their wrapping one frame after seeing them.
- “Corrected text shadows that were appearing incorrectly in certain areas of the UI.”