Marvel’s Spider-Man is one of the best PlayStation 4 games you can possibly invest in, and fans of the 2018 hit have been desperately waiting for news of the inevitable sequel. Although a sequel has yet to be officially confirmed by either Sony or developer, Insomniac Games, let’s face it – with such a huge hit on their hands, there’s no way it’s not going to happen.
We’ve already seen some supposed leaks on Spider-Man 2, but they’re still coming thick and fast, and the past weekend saw some brand-new info make its way online, courtesy of Reddit.
According to Glitched.Online, the leak came just hours after the Insomniac Games crew jumped onto a Zoom call to discuss the game, but as always, take it all with a pinch of salt until verified. Interestingly, the leaker has now deleted their post.
Be warned – this is a HUGE amount of info and it could contain spoilers.
The first thing the leak discussed was cutscenes, more specifically, the game’s opening cutscene. Apparently we’ll see Peter Parker webslinging through the city during winter before heading home to his and MJ’s apartment, where he video calls his bae. According to the leak [via Glitched.Online,] “peace talks in Samkyria are concurrently happening as they speak, so she should be heading home in a few weeks after post-war interviews and headlines.”
The cutscene reportedly goes on to reveal that Parker has rejoined The Daily Bugle, and JJJ has resumed his former position.
One of the biggest things from the leak is how important the season of winter really is. Snow is apparently so detailed it will “fall off” the Spidey-suit as you move, and footprints can be left by both playable characters and NPCs.
Weather types supposedly include light rain, light snow and heavy snow, with a total of seven dynamic weather types to be included.
The leaker added: “From what I have gathered, especially based on what my contact has said, the weather systems will come and go freely. Time passes without transitions, along with the weather, and all will be representative within cutscenes. Story apparently takes place over a longer period of time than the first, therefore there is more room for days to pass within gameplay. Speaker says that they tried to avoid writing in ‘This happens at night, or this happens during the day-‘ as much as possible. They did say that they could not get around it entirely, however. So expect to see certain and unexpected time-of-day shifts within the game.”
Dynamic missions will allegedly include “ballon missions.” The leaker originally wrote: “Balloon missions is the first. Spider-Man grabs a balloon caught on a flagpole, a balloon flying away in the air, and a balloon that was caught in a helicopter. Yes, a helicopter. The landing gear, specifically. These are definitely a call-back to the Spider-Man 2 Movie-Tie-In game…
“Construction workers hanging onto ledges and falling off of buildings, people needing to be brought to the hospital, as well as rescuing people from burning buildings are some examples shown.”
The leak explained:
- “A fight with Mysterio is shown, albiet very briefly, on the statue of liberty. Not sure if this was another reference to Spider-Man 2, but the fight looked very different from that game.
- “A few still images of a theatre and a clocktower were also shown, with Mysterio at the center of each.
- “This also confirms that the Statue of Liberty will be a traversable location, and we will probably see more than one appearance of Mysterio throughout the game.
- “Side missions are going to appear throughout the story and in greater number than the first game.
- “Some side missions contain major villains, and others help flesh out the world.
- “A side mission in Hell’s Kitchen with a ‘certain lawyer’ was teased. Daredevil will most likely make an appearance, if not at least mentioned.
- “Another side mission with a certain “Fantastic and Fiery” personality was also teased and will be used for new racing mechanics. If anyone predicted Human Torch races, congratulations.”
Directly from the leak:
- “An argument with Eddie Brock and JJJ occurs, with Peter stepping in. This is the first time we’ve seen JJJ and Eddie in-person, and they look fantastic. My contact described Eddie’s design as “Spectacular Spider-Man-esque in nature”, the cartoon show, for those who are aware of it. Big, bulky, and brash.
- “The cutscene ends just as Peter is about to say something.
- “Doctor Conners is mentioned within the scene.
- “Major one here. In an alleyway, a giant, squirming blob of symbiote lays on the ground as Spider-Man approaches it. This is definitely not Venom, but it is definitely a symbiote. My contact described it as a “Proto-Venom”. Some specific dialogue taken from Peter, transcribed poorly by me – I’m sure Yuri knocked it out of the park, though.:
- ‘“How could Norman do this to you?”
- ‘“Harry- Harry, it’s me. It’s Peter. I’m here, buddy. I’m here.”
- ‘“Oh God, Harry… “
- ‘“You… Killed those people.”
- ‘“What the hell?! Get off- Get-“
- “That last one is crucial to the scene, as the symbiote leaves Harry and bonds with Peter. My contact says that they originally wanted Harry to be Venom, but felt like the introduction of Eddie Brock-Venom would make for a lengthier story and would also satisfy comic fans. They also want to save Harry for something special later down the line.
- “So from what I have gathered, within the context of the story, Harry is the first host of the Oscorp-created symbiote.
- “It is not alien in origin, and was used as a cure for Harry’s disease.
- “Harry is ultimately cured by the time the symbiote leaves, so there is room for him in the future of the story, but at this point he is hospitalized after Peter stops his rampage.
- “Harry breaks free during Act 1 and goes on a manic-filled killing spree, and the scene just described wraps up the events, leading into Act 2.”
Mechanics: Black Suit
- A few still images of the classic black suit are shown, and everyone on Zoom clapped for it. Suffice to say, they wanted the black suit just as much as fans did, so they’re doing something right here.
- Speaker says that they wanted to add an extra step towards “tailoring every player’s experience”.
- Spider-Man is on a roof, the weather and sky are clear so that light is reflecting off of the suit more. His classic suit is being worn.
- Contact says that this was his favorite part of the showreel, and I’ll admit, it’s definitely mine too.
- The black suit is switched on with a simple button press, then switched off again.
- Speaker had this to say: “Taking major inspiration from Web of Shadows, we knew that the symbiote system in this game needed to be as fluid and fun as possible”. So for anyone who predicted a Web of Shadows style system, you guessed correctly, and I’m glad you did.
- “But that’s not all we have to show you-“, the speaker said. The suit selection screen is opened once more, and most of the suits are greyed out. However, the advanced suit and the webbed suit (raimi suit) are available.
- The advanced suit is selected, and then the black suit is switched on. “Every suit has their own symbiote version-“, the speaker said.
- The webbed suit is then selected, and my contact said that it took him back to 2007, when Spider-Man 3 was released. It looked beautiful.
Mechanics: Black Suit Combat
- My contact has said that they tried not to copy Web of Shadows in its entirety, but they did take inspiration from the combat system switching in that game. Arkham-Knight styled combat, similar to Spider-Man PS4, was shown. Precision, combos and key presses, and dodging are once again the focus when fighting without the symbiote suit.
- However, when using the symbiote suit, certain elements are removed for more “fluid” combat. Combat is described as being more powerful, with faster attacks and much less dodging. Players zip from enemy to enemy, and can attack multiple enemies at once by using certain symbiote abilities.
- The symbiote suit has its own separate skill tree that is unlocked after obtaining it.
- The skill trees are slightly larger than in the previous game, but nothing to write home about. This shouldn’t be a problem to players, however, as there are now two different skill trees to explore.
- Not much was shown in terms of symbiote combat footage, though, as it’s most likely still under development. Combat reworks and additions can take forever, especially with a new system being made.
- A few cutscenes and clips are shown, stitched-together for the sake of time.
- Peter (Under the influence of the symbiote.) and Miles arguing. The black suit then forms around Peter and he jumps off of a roof.
- Miles stopping a robbery (His classic suit is shown here). Speaker also said during this that Miles also has equippable suits.
- Miles swinging through low building traversal and running on rooftops.
- Miles using the new “Web-Chain” mechanics, zipping between rooftops and ledges.
- Miles section ends with him fighting a group, just before Peter tags in and the two fight together. You’re able to switch between both for certain sections.
- Norman Osborn in the lab where Harry escaped, he’s tinkering with a few viles of unknown-materials. Presumably, Peter Parker’s DNA.
- Norman Osborn smashing a bunch of equipment, as well as throwing a table out of a window.
- The showreel ended with a fade to black, accompanied by Norman’s laughter.
- One last thing was shown. Three images for a wave of DLC – Presumably just like how there were 3 DLC’s last time.
- Morbius, Carnage, and Wraith. Seems like the theme of the DLC’s are killers and redemption, depending on who Carnage is. My contact says they are leaning towards Peter Parker-Carnage, and you would play as Miles, but they are in the concept stage and have not fully decided on that yet.
- They were originally planning on revealing it over the summer, but now due to the situation we are all facing, they are pushing it to late summer, August most likely, or potentially later, depending on how the situation develops. Release remains Holiday 2021.
So there you have it. It’s incredibly, incredibly detailed. Could it be real?
Featured Image Credit: Sony/Insomniac Games