PlayStation 5 price increase has been confirmed by Sony across global territories. That is, however, apart from the United States.
The news of the PS5 price increase was revealed on the PlayStation Blog by SIE President and CEO, Jim Ryan. Consequently, the price increase is effective immediately, apart from Japan, which has a few weeks’ notice.
I have checked the prices via the UKs PlayStation Direct store, and at the time of writing, the PS5s have the original RRP. However, the prices may have been updated by the time you have read this article.
PlayStation 5 stock is still in short supply
That being said, stock shortages are still plenty, so it will be unlikely that you’ll bag a console at the lower RRP, unfortunately. The reason for the price increase is apparently due to “high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends, impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries.”
Sony says that it has made the “difficult decision” to increase the RRP in regions such as the UK and Europe, Japan, China, Australia, Mexico as well as Canada. Furthermore, no reason was given as to why the United States isn’t included in the PS5 price hike.
PlayStation 5 price has increased by £30
At least for the UK, this means that the PS5 disc edition jumps from £449.99 to £479.99. While the PS5 digital edition jumps from £359.99 to £389.99.
Below are the new RRPs following the PS5 price increase:
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 yen (including tax)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
- PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
- PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99
Jim Ryan also stated that despite the “necessity” of the PS5 price increase, Sony’s priority is to improve the “PS5 supply situation so that as many players as possible can experience everything that PS5 offers and what’s still to come.”
In recent PlayStation 5 news, Sony announced the brand-new DualSense Edge controller at Gamescom. This is the PS5’s take on the Xbox Elite controller. At this time, no price for the DualSene Edge has been confirmed.
What are your thoughts on the PlayStation 5 price increase? Let us know across our social media channels.
While you’re here, be sure to check out our video of the week. 10 of the scariest horror games of all time are shown off. What is your favourite horror game?
Featured Image Credit: Sony/Source: PS Blog