Industry insider and journalist Tom Henderson has claimed that EA shot down DICE’s pitch for Star Wars Battlefront 3.
Ever since Electronic Arts acquired Swedish developer DICE in 2006, the studio has been synonymous with the Battlefield franchise. However, the studio has deviated from time to time with the likes of Mirrors Edge and of course, the Star Wars Battlefront series.
Following the recent launch of Battlefield 2042, it would perhaps be safe to assume that DICE would work on the Star Wars franchise next. That being said, Battlefield 2042 needs a lot of fixes and new content before that time ever arrives.
Rumours of a Battlefront 3 first surfaced earlier this year. However, despite Battlefield 2042 taking up the immediate future of DICE, that apparently hasn’t stopped them pitching the idea of Battlefront 3 to EA. Which was reportedly shot down by the publisher.
“Battlefront 3 was a pitched title from DICE, but ultimately, the title was shot down by EA due to licensing costs,” tweeted Henderson. “It got turned down because it takes 20% more sales to make the same money”, said one past developer.”
Battlefront 3 is a no go, for now
Battlefront 3 was a pitched title from DICE, but ultimately, the title was shot down by EA due to licensing costs.— Tom Henderson (@_Tom_Henderson_) November 20, 2021
“It got turned down because it takes 20% more sales to make the same money”, said one past developer.
Henderson also claims that while DICE is not currently working on a Star Wars Battlefront 3, it is instead working on another Battlefield.
However, Henderson also claims that two Star Wars games are currently in development under EA. It is also claimed that the two alleged Star Wars games in question are story-driven and not multiplayer games.
Although it currently seems that DICE is not working on Battlefront 3 (and instead another Battlefield), there are currently two Star Wars titles in development under EA – But it appears that those titles are more story-driven/single-player instead of multiplayer.— Tom Henderson (@_Tom_Henderson_) November 20, 2021
If the reports are true, it will be interesting to find out what these two single player Star Wars games are. One is likely to be Jedi Fallen Order 2. That said, I’m also intrigued to see what a Star Wars Battlefront 3 game will look like following the microtransaction controversy of 2017s Battlefront 2.
What are your thoughts on this subject? Would you like to see a Star Wars Battlefront 3? Let us know across our social media channels.
SHOP WITH GAMEBYTE!
Do not forget you can find great games and more on the GameByte Shop! We’ve stocked up the store with the latest games, merch, and accessories. We might even have a new-gen console or two! Sign up to our newsletter to be notified of our console drops, deals and more. Please note that the GameByte Shop is available for UK customers only.
Featured Image Credit: EA/DICE